Monday, February 15, 2010

quick cake!

Almost every weekend, my husband and I go over to a friend's house and we have dinner and play games. On this perticular weekend, I was in charge of making dessert. I was told this Friday afternoon before. I was at work when I got the notice, and then had to think of something. I was not able to get anything done that night, so I told my husband to get a box of cake mix (hate to admit it) and I will do a birthday cake for the host who just had a birthday. I was scheduled to work until 6 that night, however, we were so slow I was able to leave at 4! It is a good thing I did! I got home around 5 and then began baking right away. I made two square cakes and as they were baking, I made up some icing and the pattern I was going to use. The cakes were done, so I get them out of the pans as soon as I could so they could begin cooling. I ended up throwing the cakes into the freezer, steam coming off of them. I then got all the icing ready and decided to do a fondant top as it will be quicker. I then get the cakes out, layer them, get a crumb coat on, throw it back into the freezer, roll out the fondant, get the cake back out, put the fondant on it then continue to decorate it. I did this all within three hours! whew! looking back on it now, I wish I used a smaller tip, but it got the job done and I was not selling it. And like any supportive friend, they all loved the cake! It is a good thing I got off work early so I was able to get to our friend's house at a decent hour and everyone would still enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful cake! Looks very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I have selected to pass on my first blog award to you -- the Sunshine Award! Stop by for a visit to pick up your award

    Big Belly or Bust

    ReplyDelete