Monday, April 5, 2010

Beginning of a New Position

Tomorrow is my first day of going full time at the patisserie. I am quite excited, yet anxious to see what it will bring for me. I will no longer be baking, which will be a change. I will be dealing with new and more customers, which will help with my customer service skills. I am pretty good at it, however, it can always be improved. They wouldn’t move me to this position if they felt I could not handle it. The owner has really not said much of what I will be doing besides helping with customers. I know there are going to be down times, but what will I be doing? Before the manager broke her wrist, she assembled mousse tortes, and decorated cakes and other things that one can step away from when a customer comes in or the phone rings. I don’t know if the owner will be training me on these or not. There is a part time person that will be coming Thursday and Friday closer to closing and then all day on Saturday. Her primary job is customer service and computer work, and doing feedback calls. So I’m not really sure what is going to be in store for me. I love working here, but if I’m going to lose my touch at things, I don’t know if I’m going to be able to stay there. The pay is not good, although I am up for my three month review this month so hopefully something will happen with that.
The manager’s last day was Saturday. She told me, as she has before, that I am a breath of fresh air for the shop. She feels the shop is in very good hands and good things are going to happen. I came to them at just the right time. This makes me feel a little better at starting the new full time, day position. Oh, did I mention that? I’m also starting my day 4 hours later, which means I get to sleep in!
As I am typing this, it has dawned on me, I have only been there for just over two months, and yet, I have learned so much. What more is there for me? So much I do think! For only being there for this short amount of time, I have mastered several of the more difficult products. They feel comfortable enough to have me close, and who knows what else they have in store for me! Both the owner and manager are very impressed with me. This is quite a change for me, as I’m not used to be given positive feedback. Not that I was ever a bad employee, but it always seemed like I was only talked to when I did something that I could’ve done better. I do get this at the shop, but it is done in a good way. I think this shop is going to be a good thing for me and I look forward to what is ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment