Thursday, February 4, 2010

job search

I know, I said I would write every day. Unfortunately life sometimes gets in the way. So I’m going to attempt to catch up with things! I’ve had lots to talk about!
It was time to go job searching. This is not the easiest thing in the world to do, especially with my profession. I decided “today’s the day!” I had some places in mind of where I wanted to submit resumes. I didn’t know if they were hiring or not, but it never hurts to get my name out there, right? Now keep in mind, I’m nervous as heck for these. Lots of thoughts going through my head, like, what if I don’t meet the expectations I present on the resume? What if I make the school look bad by not knowing certain things? What if I look bad by not knowing certain things? It was very stressful before I even put the resumes out! Ok, breathe…
I stopped by “edible arrangements”. They were slightly busy. The people talking to the customers just did not seem happy. It was almost like they (or I eventually) were interrupting their day. So I wait. I think I’ve done retail too long as I find myself slightly irritated that I was not even acknowledged that I walked through the door. Once someone was able to assist me, they just did not seem happy. I started thinking do I really want to work here? How do they stay in business when they do not even look like they enjoy it? what kind of product are they sending out if they feel like this? I am a happy person and I do not know if I want to put myself into this environment. I was not able to leave my resume, but she gave me an application to fill out and the owner will be in the following week to collect. So I took the resume and left, trying to find myself a happy place!
I head out to the next possible job opportunity. I walk into this new place and already like it. It is a little coffee/pastry shop and I felt like I could just sit there all day, work on my laptop and enjoy hot chocolate and sweets. This feels more like it. I find the associate, and introduce myself, let him know I am looking for employment but was not sure if they were hiring, and that I just wanted to get my resume out there. So he takes my nice little folder, and says the manager is actually at the other shop down the street about 10 minutes if I had time to stop by. I did not, but he informed me they are in need of a baker! PERFECT! He looks at the resume and says “you know, let me call the manager and see when she will be there tomorrow so you could possibly stop by, and I will make sure there is still a position available. So he goes behind these bar doors that I can still hear what he’s saying. He gives her a call and tells her I would be an excellent candidate and she should really take a look at my resume and meet me. I only talked to this guy for five minutes and he is already highly recommending me for this position! Sweet! He gets off the phone and lets me know the manager’s hours tomorrow.
I left with a rejuvenated feeling. I was ready. I can do this! I had to go to my other job, so I thanked him and headed out. I was apparently glowing when I walked into my job, as my boss looked at me and said “you’re glowing!” oops! I denied it, but I guess it was a pretty bright glow! I so wanted to tell her, “sorry, I had a job interview and I’m leaving” but seeing as I did not have an interview I could not share.
So I headed in Saturday before I had to work again. It was a cute little pastry shop, not like the one I went into the day before which was more on the modern side. I met with the manager and gave her my resume. She told me it was a full time job, starting at 6 in the morning. Oye that was early. But that was ok. I am to expect it eventually with my profession. We talked for a while and she said she will go over the resume with the owner and I was to call back on Tuesday to let them know if I was still interested or not in the position. I was feeling pretty good and yet nervous and all the fears came back after I left. All I could do now was wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment